When expanding the tutoring business, you have to hire more tutoring Staff—for instance, an exceptional tutor to assist your clients in improving their grades. Before you go on to hire teachers for the tutoring business, you have to determine why you have to hire tutors.
You may also hire new tutors for the following reasons;
- Enhance customer satisfaction
- Improve customer retention rate
- Improve the scores of clients and, thereby, their grades
After determining why you have to hire tutors, you can move on to the next step: hiring. This article discusses some strategies for hiring and keeping an elite tutoring staff.
1. Recruiting strategy
You may wonder how you can hire an elite tutoring staff. If you want to do it, you have to develop a recruitment strategy. Before you move on to make a recruiting strategy to hire tutors, you can consider asking yourself a few questions;
- The sort of tutors you are looking for
- What is the timeline for recruitment
- Where can you find the applicants
- Recruiting tutors
The kind of candidate you are looking for
You may require many applicants to choose the appropriate candidate for your tutoring business. Only 50 per cent of the applicants may likely meet your requirement, and the other 50 per cent may accept the offer.
You may have to establish specific standards while hiring tutors for the tutoring business.
Time for the recruitment
While hiring, you have to specify when you start hiring and when you stop hiring. You can establish multiple deadlines for the applicants to apply. Remember that not all deadlines have to be public. Instead, you set internal deadlines as well.
Where can you find the participants
Where you can find the tutors depend on their area of expertise. Meanwhile, you can recruit tutors from various online job portals. You can also consider the following;
- If you can recruit from your student community
- If you can receive a reference from your professional network
- Whether it is possible to collaborate with similar enterprises
- Identifying the colleges and universities that you have to foster relations.
- Identifying the job fares that you should attend and who should represent the organization
- The strategy to recruit from social media platforms
- Identifying the online job portal where you can post the job description for the tutors.
- Identifying the location to distribute the marketing materials
You have to choose the right talent for the tutoring business. You may have a large talent pool if you have reached this point. Now have to figure out how to present the company to the potential candidates and the curriculum you have developed.
Furthermore, you have to ensure that all the marketing materials and presentation should answer the following questions;
- Mission and Vision
- The value proposition of the program
- Commitment required in the tutoring program
- How to apply
- Sources to find further information
You have to follow up with the candidate you have shortlisted. Furthermore, you have to update them about the hiring process from time to time.
2. Use a Class Management Software
Class management software has become a staple in today’s education industry. Picktime is one such class management software that offers an efficient way to manage tutoring sessions quickly and easily. It simplifies the process of managing classes for both students and teachers, making it easier for everyone involved.
Picktime’s user-friendly interface makes it easy to set up class schedules, manage student attendance records, and keep track of payments or tuition fees due from each student. It also allows tutors to create custom profiles for each student with any extra information they might need to know. This helps take away some of the administrative burden associated with running a successful teaching business.
The software makes it easier than ever before to stay organized and on top of everything related to tutor management.
3. Area of specialization
While hiring tutors, you have to understand their area of specialization. The tutors, for instance, may specialize in the following area;
- General education: such tutors assist students in improving their learning skills, time management, participation in classroom activities, and any other issue related to learning skills.
- Test preparations: such tutors assist students in preparing for competitive exams.
- Learning disabilities: the tutors assist students with autism, processing disorder, ADHD and other learning disabilities.
- Linguistic: the tutors assist students in learning a new language—for instance, grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary.
Those mentioned above are some examples, and understanding the areas of expertise assist you in hiring elite tutors in the field.
4. Job description
Suppose you want to recruit elite tutors for the tutoring business. In that case, you have to write a compelling job description to attract them to your tutoring business. The description should outline the brief of the job, duties, responsibilities and skill set required.
If you are out of ideas while writing the job description, you can consider the following keywords;
- Working remote
- Math tutor
- Language tutor
- Online tutoring
The interview plays a crucial role in identifying an elite tutor. You have to ask the appropriate questions to determine. For instance, you can ask the potential candidates the following questions;
- Prior experience working with children.
- The total work experience
- The area of expertise
- If approachable after the regular working hours
6. In hand experience
You have to keep an eye out when hiring. For instance, not everyone approaching you would be the ideal candidate. You may ask them to produce any proof to substantiate their claims.
The proof can be a review from a previous student or a letter of recommendation. You can also ask the potential candidates to produce the transcripts or the recent grade the student has received.
Meanwhile, you have to discuss the remuneration. You can negotiate if you have to with the potential candidates regarding the payment. You can also ask the community how much the tutor got paid before.
After determining the appropriate candidate, you have to be very clear about the priorities. For instance, improving grades, customer retention or customer satisfaction. If you are under the impression that the candidates do not yield results, you have to look for new potential candidates.
Hopefully, the strategies discussed in the article will assist you in hiring and retaining an elite tutoring staff.